
(Photo from http://tinyimperfectionsinc.com/Meet_the_Bears.html)
My dad used to tell me bedtime stories. He made them up on the spot. They were always about "the Orange Bear" and his little friend Amy. The Orange Bear could fly. He would carry Amy around the forest so they could help various woodland creatures with their problems. Those stories are a huge part of my childhood memories.
This just popped into my head as I wrote one of many personal reflections for my counseling skills class. My dad died when I was barely 16. That was over 15 years ago. I miss him. I wish he could see me as a mom, and play with my kids. I wish he could meet Mike, and see how well he treats me.
I have never told my kids an Orange Bear story. Tomorrow night, they're getting one.
By the way, the Orange Bear from my imagination looks nothing like the picture above, but I was pretty amazed to find a picture of an orange bear on the Internet at all, so that's what you get. :)
3 comments:
What a great thing to pass on to your kids. I loved your dad and I think he would be proud of who you have become and the mother you are.
I wish I could have met him too, Amy. But I believe he knows Mike and your kids and watches you as a mom; and I'm sure he's so proud of you.
I was just thinking about your dad the other day and how awesome he was letting us come over and take over the house, and participating in all our crazy schemes (Spy Tech, anyone?) I miss him, too, and I hope we all get to be neighbors again in heaven.
Post a Comment