August 23, 2011

Ode to Good Friends

This is going to be a long post. But, I’ve been thinking about it for years … and I can’t hold it in any more!!! I’m going to give away some names … but only first names, so hopefully they’ll all forgive me. Here we go …

I moved into what I consider the-house-I-grew-up-in right before I turned 5 years old. Within a few days of moving in, I met the adorable little boy next door, exactly 2 weeks my junior. His name was (and actually still is, if you can believe such a thing): Travis.

Travis and I subsequently spent the next 7 years virtually joined at the hip. I still remember the smell of his house, and I could draw you a very detailed picture of the floorplan and where the furniture was in each room. I remember giggling and running around, swinging on the swingset, the clubhouse his dad built (with the window that you had to be careful not to slam your arm in), climbing trees and fences, starting small dead-leaf fires in a metal bowl (I thought it was safe because it was “contained”), the Intellivision, pretending to be spies and making movies with our parents’ video cameras, making matchbox car towns and dams in the front storm gutters, and countless other innocent childhood activities. I had a lot of great childhood friends of whom I have so many fond memories, and who I still love very much; but, without any doubt, Travis was my very best friend.

When Travis and I were 12 years old, his parents found their dream house and moved away. A part of me almost died. The funny thing is, they only moved about 4 miles away; but at 12 years old, that might as well have been the other side of the planet. We both went to different junior high and high schools. We weren’t as close during that time … but I always missed him so much.

When Travis went on his LDS mission, I wrote him a few letters (too bad e-mail wasn’t as prevalent back then). I got married while he was gone.

When Trav got home, Mike and I were privileged to meet some of the girls he dated. They were all very nice. But, then one day … Travis sent me an e-mail with some info and a picture of a young lady that he had met and started dating. I thought he had to be kidding; I mean, Travis is awesome and handsome, but I thought he was joking because this girl was like a model. I’m not kidding. And she still looks like a model … even 3 kids and almost 10 years later.

I am so thankful and still honored to this day (yes, I’m tearing up as I type this) that I got to help Travis propose to Erin.

To Travis and Erin: You are two of the most amazing, spiritual, genuine, thoughtful, and smart people I know. Erin, I love your intellect and your open mind, and your sheer honesty. I mean this from the bottom of my heart: I honestly could never have dreamed up a more perfect eternal companion for my best childhood friend. Travis is so lucky to have you. And Travis – what can I even say? You feature in almost all of my favorite memories from childhood. Thank you for always including me in your life. I love hanging out with you and Erin and your beautiful family. You two are amazing parents (you have no idea how many times I ask myself “what would Erin and Travis do right now?” when I’m having a difficult parenting moment). I just love you guys!!!!

To Travis’ parents: Scott, you scared me half to death when I was a kid; I never understood your way of teasing, but I always knew you were a great man and my parents always said so many nice things about you. Thank you for being almost like a surrogate father-in-law to Mike. We both admire and respect you a lot. Pauline, you always have a smile for everyone. I love hearing you laugh and seeing you fake ignorance when playing card games. Thank you so much for my bridal shower gift (I know it was over 12 years ago, but it is one of my greatest treasures) – you and the girls wrote some of your favorite memories of me, and you also made a copy of all of our old “Spy Tech” and “Batsman” movies. Thanks to both of you for always welcoming me and Mike, and our kids. I still feel like you’re my family.

To Travis’ sister Toni: Though I mostly now “spy” on you from afar through Facebook and your blog, I am so thankful to see how happy you are. I’m so glad you found Evan (and I am to this day so honored that you invited us to your sealing). You make such a good pair, and your boys are absolutely adorable! I love reading about your everyday “mommy issues” – and, believe me, I commiserate! – and all of your crafts (you’re so creative!). And, I just have to say it: I’m really sorry that Travis and I always told you that your mom had a candy bar waiting for you and then ditched you!! We were such turds. I wish I could make it up to you, and I wish I could spend just one more afternoon with you jumping from the third-to-the-bottom stair onto “the booger.”

To Travis’ sister Tara: What do I even say to you, lady? I cannot even believe the amazing woman you have grown into!! You’re so talented and smart. I’m so proud of you. And your Johnny … man, he’s so freakin’ awesome (not that I have to tell YOU that). Thank you for always visiting us and playing games with us when you’re in town – it means a lot to both me and Mike. Your children are beautiful. Thank you for all the memories of playing “telethon” and “radio station” in your room; and thanks for indulging me every.single.time. I wanted to play horses (how I wish I had taken you more often to see my real horses when I got older; I hope to make that up to you someday). And, we mustn’t forget Bradford!!!!!!

To Travis’ sister Tea: Oh, Tea, you sweet thing! I think you are just so sweet and beautiful and awesome. I love reading your blogs (and your healthy recipes are so yummy!). Ryan is nothing less than a total stud – I’m so glad you have each other. Thanks for hanging out with us and sharing our love of you-know-what. (What, me? Still in the closet about my love of Twilight? Nah!!) He he … I can’t wait to go with you guys in November! :) And, I’m sorry to bring it up again, but I just will never forget that you were the first baby ever whose diaper I changed (and I put it on backwards).

And … just a closing note to the original Trav-Dog: I love you, Buddy. Thank you so much for everything; I can’t wait to make more memories with you and your family. Until we meet again, Agent 85 … this is Agent 07 of the FPF, signing out.

4 comments:

The Leithead Family said...

You two are two of my favorite people. I want to see you more often!

Teandra said...

I'm so glad that you have been in my life for 25 years. All my childhood memories have you in them. We are blessed to know you and your cute family.

Tara Jayne said...

I always thought it was you indulging me playing horses. I'm so glad you and Travis never treated me like an annoying kid sister.

Liz said...

Good friends are a wonderful thing, aren't they? It's so great to have good people in your life.