October 11, 2010

In all seriousness ...

Recently, I have been approached by some friends and colleagues following a comment I made on FB. Thanks to everyone who has supported my free expression and has made me feel loved and “connected” (you know who you are).

It’s National Coming Out Day today. This is the perfect time for me to clarify some things.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I support “gay marriage” and equal rights for people who are LGBT (see http://www.equalityutah.org/index.asp; http://www.hrc.org/).

I am an ally.

Everyone who will read this already knows that recently, a man that I love and respect said some things that incited strong feelings across the board. In me, those words incited veritable fury. However, he is only a man; I have personally reconciled myself with what I think he intended (some food for thought: http://www.nine-moons.com/?p=1275), and I wish to speak no ill will of him. No, it doesn’t make it right. Do I wish he had said things differently? A million times, yes!!! I feel that way anyway ... but particularly on the heels of the recent suicides featured in the media, let alone the countless ones we haven’t heard about on the news. But, what has been said, has been said.

I feel VERY STRONGLY that I must share the feelings of my heart on this issue.

Empirical evidence and common sense both speak to the fact that some people are born homosexual. I believe that being LGBT is inborn. Some people who are LGBT choose to celebrate it, others fight it, others don’t know yet and/or haven’t accepted it, all struggle because of outside pressure, oppression, and discrimination. I believe that regardless of whether someone is LGBT and regardless of where he or she is with his or her sexual identity, every single human being deserves to be loved, supported, and accepted. I believe that LGBT individuals and couples deserve to enjoy the same rights and choices as heterosexual individuals and couples.

Some may wonder how I reconcile all of that with my religious beliefs. Well, I believe that God has set standards for us to live as humans. I believe that there is an “ideal” that we may all work towards, should we so choose. Yet, we are all in a different place. Life is not black and white – there is a continuum for everything. I am aware that God has said that He cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance. But, again, this speaks to an ideal. I believe that the more important thing is that the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. With whom did Jesus spend much of His time when He was on the Earth? He spent much of His time with people whom others considered “sinners” and unilaterally deemed “unworthy.”

God loves everyone. Jesus loves everyone. EVERYONE is of great worth. I believe that WE SHOULD LOVE AND ACCEPT EVERYONE – NO MATTER WHAT!!! No one is perfect, we are all just doing the best we can with what we’ve got.

In the spoken version of the controversial talk by President Packer, referring to what he called “inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural,” he posed the question: “Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?” That question was removed from the edited text version. I’m thankful President Packer removed it for clarification of his intent (I like to think that, in part, it was his way of admitting that he makes mistakes, too). Because, simply put, why would God allow anything to happen to anyone? Why does God allow war, famine, poverty, disease, disability, and difficulty of any kind for anyone? Why would He give anyone a particular strength or a particular weakness? I believe that such things are for our learning and growth: “if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my [child], that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good” (see http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/122/5-8#5).

Do I think that the Church should change its doctrine to please others and “fit in?” Certainly not. But, do I think that LGBT individuals and couples should have to endure discrimination and unequal treatment because of the Church’s stance and doctrine? Absolutely not!! I think that the Church should be free to express its doctrine, while at the same time individual members and nonmembers alike should be afforded the right to hold and freely express their own political opinions (which is part of my “beef” with the whole Prop 8 thing … because I did not support it, but I felt pressured to keep that close to the chest). And, I believe that everyone should accept others for who they are right now, no matter how differently they act and feel from you.

Not everyone in the world believes the same thing, that’s for sure. But, regardless of whether you share all, some, or none of my beliefs expressed above, just what is the problem with getting along and loving each other? Seriously, it just breaks my heart and shakes me to the core to see all of the hate in this world.

If you are heterosexual, I love and accept you just the way you are. If you are LGBT, I love and accept you just the way you are. If you are an alcoholic or if you never drink, use tobacco or never smoke, smoke pot or don't, shoot heroin or don't, stare at porn or don't, have anger management problems or don't, or any number of things – I love you and accept you just the way you are. I may not always agree with you, but you are valuable to me and I love you as a fellow human being. And, I believe with my whole heart that you are valuable to and loved unconditionally by God and Jesus Christ.

I do not believe that we are in this world to point fingers and hurt each other. I believe that we are here to love each other and to support each other in our respective learning and growth in life – to RESPECT each other’s differences, and if welcomed, to share our own beliefs and knowledge with others.

Thank you for listening. My intention here was to express love and unconditional acceptance. If I have said anything that does not express that, please forgive me. You can bring it up to me here, on FB, or in private – I will welcome it, and gladly clarify my intentions.

Love, Amy

~ “Jesus said love everyone. Treat them kindly, too. When your heart is filled with love, others will love you” (Children’s Songbook, p. 61). ~

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well said, Amy. Much of what you said about loving and accepting others, and no tolerance for cruelty who do not believe the same as us was echoed in the official statement of the church...

Ryan and Adelyn Hall said...

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/news.newsmain/article/184/0/1712222/RadioWest.(M-F..11AM..and..7PM)/101310.Elder.Packer.and.the.LDS.Church.on.Homosexuality

I thought a lot about what you said in your blog (totally agree) and last night listened to a really touching and inspiring conversation about the topic of Elder Packer's talk on Radio West. Instead of the usual feelings of bitterness and frustration I felt inspired and had a stronger testimony of the Church. I thought you might be interested in listening to it as well. Thanks for your thoughts!

- Addy