December 21, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes – 2009 Edition

I have a little notebook that I keep in the kitchen so I can jot down cute little things that the kids say and do. Sometimes I don’t do a very good job keeping up with it, but at least I get some stuff recorded for future giggles. Here are just a few of the entries from 2009:

1/2/09 - "I have a zit on my forehead - at breakfast, Mikey asked me, 'Why do you have an owie on your brain?'"

1/28/09 - "Charlotte has started to say 'Deeee' for 'Thank You' when you hand her something." [It's amazing what a few months do in the life of a small child ... she has such a huge, well-pronounced vocabulary now.]

3/14/09 - "Tonight I said to Mikey, 'Good Heavens, kiddo!' He said, 'I am NOT a kiddo!' Then, less than two seconds later, 'What's a kiddo?'"

5/20/09 - "This morning, Mikey and Travis were pretending they had a baby snake. Travis was showing it to me and he said, 'Oh, it needs some milk. Here you go,' and pretended to give it a drink. Then Mikey said, 'Let's go get it a bottle,' and they trotted off together down the hall."

6/5/09 - "Travis and Mikey were headed outside to play. Travis opened the door for Mikey and said, 'Here you go, Mike.' Mikey smiled, walked outside and said, 'Thank you, Travis." Travis replied, 'So welcome, Mike.'" [That was a proud Mommy moment.]

6/20/09 - "Charlotte dropped her Minnie Mouse toy and said, 'Damn-it!' (Courtesy of Mommy.)" [Not such a proud Mommy moment.]

6/26/09 - "The kids got little plastic binoculars in their Wacky Packs from Sonic. Travis calls them 'nock-a-pillars.'"

7/9/09 - "The way Travis says 'crayon' sounds like 'crann.'"

7/14/09 - "The way Charlotte says 'blanket' sounds like 'wonkit.'"

8/10/09 - "Today, before Charlotte's nap, Travis insisted that he sing a song for her so she could go to sleep. He then sat at the piano and played while he sang 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star' for Charlotte."

8/14/09 - "Mikey and Travis were playing outside in the back yard. They came running in and Mikey said, 'There is lightning out there! We're scared of it. We thought we were going to die to death!'"

9/19/09 - "Mikey built a sword with his Legos and said, 'Behold! The most awesome thing in the world!'"

10/12/09 - "Mikey got in trouble and was sent to his room. When he got to the bottom of the stairs, he screamed because he was mad. Travis look at me, all concerned, and said, 'Mikey screamed! Maybe he saw a spider!'"

10/17/09 - "Charlotte snuggled her [toy] kitty close and said, 'Oh, kitty. I got you, sweetie pie.'"

11/17/09 - "Today Mikey made what he called an 'all-gone apple' with his play-doh. He made a ball and then squished the middle - it really did look like an apple core."

12/3/09 - "Travis took a drink of milk and said, 'Look! My bones are growing strong!'"

12/10/09 - "Charlotte has a little tutu, and she calls it her 'princess toot.'"

12/19/09 - "We were driving in the van and Travis was thirsty - he said to Mike, 'Daddy, I am very drinky.'"

*Sigh* I love having kids. There are so many difficult moments, and it's so much harder than I ever imagined it would be - but I wouldn't trade any of them for anything in the whole universe. I am so thankful to be a wife and mother.

2 comments:

The Leithead Family said...

Beverly sometimes still says she's "drinky". Very cute.

Jcjohns said...

Your kids are too cute!! I agree that being a mom is so much harder than I thought. I wouldn't trade it either!! Love ya!!!